Saturday, November 20, 2010

Cider House Fail

Now to something I had stupidly pinned my highest of hopes to, maybe even as a future money earner for me and the Magnificent Model Mart, and also if we were very, very lucky, a way out of the metropolis rat race. But, alas, it was not to be.

This world was, the world of Cider. So to start the process we need something important..... apples. Luckily Sokolka has a large amount of them and as I type this I am in Sokolka and there are still plenty of apples here, in fact, I just made an apple and pork fillet stew. It is cooking away in the oven.
So the main reason we started it was because the beautiful red apples were actually nearly gone, from both the family and the birds.
The other apples we used that were coming into their own quality were the Papierowka. It is a breed of apples I can't find anything about in English nor for that matter much in Polish. They are similar to Antynowka from Russia, but these are a Polish strain.
That is how you do it.
They are really pale green and tend to be the same size as a red delicious.
So we threw in some nice ripe ones, and also some unripe as I had read that you need some tart in your apple cider.
I kept climbing and picking too.
Also wondered if I should take all of them from the tree, or just go on a diet. That there is a man who eats a lot!
And we are done.
The work is done, time to take everything home and think about what to do.
Now the little buggars, it is time to attack them.
Give them a little bath.
Chop em up.
And squish them! So we used our fantastic juicer to put the apples through from Sokolka to juice in a few hours, then we also processed the pulp to make sure we were getting lots of liquid so that we would have lots of cider.
We got a decent amount about 8 litres from 10kgs. I added some steriliser to kill off wild yeasts and then let it rest before adding the yeast and telling it to bubble which it did for quite some time.
Then about 3.5 weeks later we bottled.
As you can see it looks really lovely, nice and fresh yellow/lime colour.

I then tasted it, and it was, hmmm, well, dry. Then when it had finished being bottled and rested for a few weeks, it still was very very dry, almost tart. Ok, not almost, but totally tart! Quite horrid. A large sigh was heard in Ursynow. It is something you can drink a bottle of, but that is about all.

No comments: