Thursday, June 02, 2011

First Grillowane

When the weather turns in Sokolka, as in many places in Poland, the first thing Poles want to do is become as Australian as possible. No, that doesn't mean wrestling crocodiles, boxing kangaroos or just being fabulous, it means drinking and BBQing in the sun. Everyone you talk to will proudly tell you when they have their first BBQ, or as the call it in Poland Grill, of the year. Sometimes they even go one further and call it a "Grill Party" basically meaning they got so drunk they decided to roast some sausages on the BBQ as far as I understand it. The Polish BBQ's aren't what I would call "typical", like the Australian varieties that I am used to. Most Australians, men in particular, are extremely proud of their BBQ's. This is their construction, functionality performance and price, funnily enough they are more proud of something that was discounted than expensive models.

It is a very common birthday present for an Australian boy turning 21, especially if he lives out of, or is planning to move out of, home in the very near future. So sometimes you can have a bricked up home made one, a portable beach one, or more often nowadays it will be a huge stainless steel thing that looks like it could rear,milk and butcher the cow before you BBQ the steak.

So in this tradition I decided to get the family out of the house and into the sun. I got some pork fillet and trimmed off the majority of the fat, made a simple BBQ glaze, basted it for a few hours then proceeded to make my own little manliness by building a fire and flam grilling the pork. As you can imagine I like to goof around with my food a lot. So, here I smoke/cooked it. I cooked it over some coals of mostly pine and smoked it over some with some fresh applewood. They came out pretty darned good, if I do say so myself.
What is this odd shaped thing?
Oh yeah it is me, and a BBQ.
I was tempted to cook up some wildlife
But, instead stuck with Pork Fillet

It is in a light BBQ sauce cooked over apple wood.
A pile of the stuff would be demolished.
First things first, we need the outdoor eating established
Pawciu needs to get some of the Sparkling Rose ready.
We should cheers the fine weather.
Marty will serve up some treats
A potato, and rocket salad, a boiled vegetable salad and the fabulous Pork.
It came up ok, it looks a little dry but it was actually quite moist.
And the Rose went down a treat.

Even Pawciu would model on such a great sunshiny day.

2 comments:

odrzut said...

If you have some time this weekend - maybe you'll come to Lublin - there is big carnival there - on two nights - 3/4 and 4/5 june.

Program (in English).

http://www.nockultury.pl/The_Night_of_Culture-1-87.html

PS Lublin is 1000 times more photogenic than Warsaw ;)

Gee Em said...

Hey odrzut, We plan to get to Lublin for a weekend at some stage. Unfotrunately we won't be able to make it this weekend.

I just looked at the website and it looks really cool! I wish I had of known earlier.... I will still ask my wife, maybe she will say cancel everything and we will go! :) Thanks for letting me know.