Sunday, May 12, 2013

Wiosna!

You know it is spring people, when the asparagus hits the bazarek. I recommend you all go and get some from a little local retailer. It is only in season for a short time and it tastes fabulous and it is high in B6, calcium, magnesium and zinc, and a very good source of dietary fibre, protein, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K, thiamin, riboflavin, rutin, niacin, folic acid, iron, phosphorus, potassium, copper, manganese and selenium, as well as chromium. (thanks Wikipedia).

I personally prefer the green to the white. This is how I prefer to prepare it:

Bend and snap all the asparagus, this removes the not so nice woody ends (although if it is the start of the season, like now, it shouldn't be a problem).
Then in a cold frying pan put about a tablespoon of olive oil, I then put in the asparagus and shake the pan to make the asparagus coated in oil.
I then put the pan onto the heat using 8 on my crappy electric stovetop (maximum is 9).
As it starts to sizzle away I sprinkle sea salt (just a pinch) and coarsely cracked black pepper (a big pinch). From time to time I will shake the pan so that the asparagus rolls around spreading the seasoning and also getting different sides to cook.
Then as there is a small transformation in colour I put in about 50mL of water. This softens the asparagus and spreads the flavours well, and if you are using sea salt flakes it helps dissolve them, as the pan is hot they will cook off quickly.
Then when the water is gone they should be ready to eat. You can eat them as they are, or toss into a salad or even throw onto some nice scrambled eggs. Or like I did this morning throw some lightly blued cheese onto it. Enjoy!
 It can then be part of a great breakfast.

No comments: