Sunday, June 05, 2011

Elderflower cordial

Elderflower Cordial
I tried this originally from Waitrose, when I was living in England, and thought it would be really lovely to make it myself. The other thing I tried from Waitrose that I really want to make is Dandelion and Burdock but have no idea how..... there shall need to be more research there.

Anyway, I got the recipe here, but modified it a little to this:
45 large flower heads                                                                                           
6 lemons cut into 1/4's
2oz (56g) citric acid
2lbs (850g) granulated sugar
3pints (1.8L) boiling water
snip off the flowers removing the thick stalks
Cut off the flowers into large container half way through the flowers put half the other ingredients on top then the remaining flowers followed by the remaining ingredients, with the boiling water last. 
layer away
Now stir until the sugar dissolves. Cover, then leave for 36 hours every time I went past it would get a stir until it cooled then I put a lid on the container and shook it whenever I  thought about it.
It produces a beautiful coloured syrup
The pretty little flowers float about making it like a quasi snow globe.
Next I strained it into another container and bottled it, into sterile bottles.It is really simple.
pouring away into old cordial and vodka bottles is simple and eco friendly too
Creativity happens everywhere.
Simply add sparkling water and you have a drink ready to go.
And how does it taste........ marvellous!
It really is fabulous. It isn't as sweet as a commercial cordial/syrup or as they call them here in Poland Syrop. Which is exactly what I wanted. I didn't want a really sweet drink. I like to have a glass of cordial in the morning with my breakfast coffee and toast so this will be perfect. I will probably be making some more soon so that I can give them away as presents during the year, and so that I don't need to buy any more at the shop during the long long winters.

2 comments:

E.T. said...

Finally, I can tell you honestly. The seventh picture is reallllllly good :)

Gee Em said...

Thanks ET. I really appreciate it. :) You should taste it too! :D