Thursday, February 16, 2012

It is Fat Thursday!!!

Fat Thursday in Poland is the traditional day to commit sin before Lent starts. Yes that is right sin. Which sin, well the sin of gluttony of course. It is to consume as many donuts (pączki, pronounced ponshkey) as possible. Everyone tries for at least 2, I would say, where as when I first came I think I had 6 or 7 as it was my first Fat Thursday and so everyone was stuffing me with them and wouldn't accept no for an answer. 


To give you an idea of what it is like a story from one of my students:


"I was waiting in line at my favourite bakery for about ten minutes to buy some to bring to work, when I was the second person in the line the woman in front of me asked "How many donuts do you have left?". The worker went off and quickly counted "about 200" was the response. "Fine, I'll take them all" she said, leaving me a little unhappy and late for work" 

So my student got to work donutless, late and hungry. Maybe that is the lesson here that the religion is trying to teach you, suffering comes in all forms. Either that or get out of bed early. Below is a video from my favourite pączki place on Chmielna in the city centre. Everyone who visits would know this as they all have to have one from here.
If you want to see some donuts from the above shop click here. Enjoy your Fat Thursday kids!

No comments: